This simple dish combines ground beef, white rice, and peppers to make a mouthwatering meal. Making stuffed peppers is easy and is a quick weeknight dinner idea.
If you would have asked me to try stuffed peppers when I was a kid, I would have turned up my nose at you. But, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve expanded my horizons to try new foods. One Sunday night, I was trying to decide what to add to my weekly meal plan and stumbled upon a recipe for stuffed peppers.
I read through the list of ingredients for things I liked. Rice? Check! Ground Beef? Check! Cheese? Check! Tomato Sauce? Check! Peppers? Um, maybe? Since I liked the other items used to make them, I thought I’d give it a try. And do you know what happened? I FELL IN LOVE!!! Seriously. This is one of my absolute favorite dishes.
Since the first time I made this, I’ve slightly modified the recipe so it is more what my skill.will love. And, I’ve shared it with my skill.members who have raved just as much about it as I have!
Now, when it is time to figure out what to eat for the week, stuffed peppers are at the top of our skill.favorite meals list. Not only are they delicious, but they are a healthier dish too. And, you can make these peppers even better by swapping ground beef for ground turkey. We do this all of the time and there is zero difference in the taste.
HOW TO MAKE EASY STUFFED PEPPERS
Making peppers for dinner is pretty easy, but you might still run into some snags or have a few questions. This may help!
Problem: The peppers will not stand up in the pan
Solution: If you find your peppers will not stand up so you can fill them, there are a few things you can try:
- Slice off the bottom bumps so that it is level (don’t cut off too much as you don’t want to have the filling run out).
- Create an aluminum foil bowl. Shape some foil and set the pepper inside and then place in the pan.
- Use the right pan. I always use an to make these as that pan is a perfect size!
Problem: I don’t know what to do with the tops.
Solution: The tops — or the lids as my kids call them — can be placed on top after cooking if you want to have a more finished style. However, there is no need. You can just toss them.
Problem: My skill.does not like rice.
Solution: There are many things you can use rather instead of rice. You can try cauliflower rice, corn, mushrooms, more beef, and cheese. The ideas are endless. You may have to try a few different ideas until you find the perfect addition to your stuffed bell peppers.
Find other great dinner ideas on our Entrees page!
CAN YOU FREEZE STUFFED PEPPERS?
Yes! Yes you can! All you need to do is make a double batch, and then you can freeze the stuffed peppers individually or as an entire meal for the skill. When you are ready to reheat, you will want to let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight if possible. Then place them in the oven until thoroughly reheated and enjoy!Print
Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
This stuffed peppers recipe is not only easy to make but is made with real ingredients you will actually have on hand (and can pronounce)!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- 4 large green bell peppers (can use red if you prefer)
- 1 lb of ground beef or turkey
- 1 Tbs. chopped onion
- 1 cup of cooked rice (Minute Rice is what I use)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
- 1 – 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut a circle around the top of the pepper so you can remove the top. This is the “lid”, which you can discard.
- Use a spoon and scoop out all of the seeds and membranes inside of the pepper.
- Add the peppers to a pot of water. Heat to boiling and cook for 5-7 minutes and then drain.
- While peppers are boiling, brown the ground beef (or turkey) until cooked through.
- Add in onion and cook until softened.
- Drain and return to the skillet.
- Mix in 1/4 – 1/3 cup of cheese.
- Add the rice, salt, garlic salt and 1 cup of tomato sauce to the beef. Cook until all is hot.
- Spoon the beef mixture into the peppers.
- Stand upright in a small baking dish (recommended size is 8×8).
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the peppers.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 min.
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted.
Keywords: stuffed peppers, stuffed bell peppers, stuffed pepppers recipe, how to make stuffed peppers