And we are at the end!!! This is our continuing with our series on how to save on groceries — even if you don’t have a coupon! These items below are things we need, and we purchase, even if we don’t have a coupon or one is never available. Since many foods don’t begin with “X”, “Y” or” Z”, they are included in this same post with the letter “W”.
We LOVE our watermelon!! Here are some tips on how to preserve yours:
- Whole/uncut watermelon is good for 7-10 days in the pantry.
- You can keep an uncut watermelon in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks; once cut it is good for 3 – 4 days.
- To freeze watermelon, cube, slice or put into balls (removing seeds and rind). Place in air tight containers or bags and freeze for 10 – 12 months.
- Canned yams are good from 2 – 5 years in a cool, dry pantry (if they leak, rust, bulge or are severely dented, discard).
- Fresh Yams are good for 5 -7 days in the pantry at normal room temps.
- Do NOT refrigerate yams (that can alter taste and flavor).
- To freeze yams, wash, peel and boil until tender. Go ahead and mash or slice them and sprinkle on lemon juice (to keep from discoloring). Place in air-tight containers or bags and freeze anywhere from 10 – 12 months.
- Once cooked, they are good for 3 – 5 days in the refrigerator (keep covered).
- Yogurt is good for around 7 – 10 days after the sell by date on the package.
- You can freeze yogurt in an airtight container for 1 – 2 months (thaw in the refrigerator).
- If you wish to freeze yogurt, leave it sealed in the original packaging.
- Walnuts (in or out of the shell) are good in the freezer in the original packaging for 2 – 4 weeks.
- You can store shelled walnuts in the refirigerator, they are good for up to 6 months.
- Shelled nuts are good for up to 12 months in the refrigerator.
- To walnuts (shelled or not), place in an airtight container or bag for up to 1 year.
- Unopened sauce is good for up to 3 years in a cool, dry pantry.
- Once opened, it should be stored in the refrigerator and is good for up to 2 years.
Make sure you check out ALL of the tips we’ve shared – just click the letter for the food you want to know more about!!