You might like apple butter, but if you have never tasted the homemade variety, you are missing out! My husband spreads this on his English muffins or toast every morning. He was eating so much of it, that I knew I had to find out how to make it myself!
The best time of the year to make your apple butter is when apples are in season. They are affordable, and there is nothing more fun than an afternoon of apple picking.
There are plenty of crockpot apple butter recipes you can search and create. But, I don’t make mine that way. I prefer to stick with the old-fashioned method of cooking it in the oven. I just think the flavors meld better together.
Every time I go in the kitchen and make a batch of what my kids call “the best apple butter ever,” my entire house smells amazing. There is nothing like walking through the door and catching a whiff of the sweetly scented air. It screams fall – even if it isn’t!!!
My simple homemade apple butter recipe is below, but don’t forget to check out some of my other amazing and delicious apple-inspired recipes:Print
Homemade Apple Butter Recipe
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 30 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- 4 lbs apples (I prefer granny smiths)
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 250.
- Core and peel apples. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Combine apples, apple cider, brown sugar, honey and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Cook apples until soft (around 20 minutes). Stir often while cooking.
- Remove from the heat and add lemon juice, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Puree the mixture until smooth (blender works well for this).
- Return the mixture to the Dutch oven and bake in the oven uncovered for 2.5 – 3 hours.
- Stir every 30 minutes.
- Cook until apples are the desired color, texture and consistency.
- Remove mixture from oven and let cool.
- Transfer into a container and keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.