There is nothing like corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick’s Day! The simplest way to cook it is in your slow cooker. Find out how to make corned beef and cabbage for your very next party.
St. Patricks Day makes me want to eat corned beef and cabbage every year! I found an easy way to cook it in the slow cooker, and it turns out so tender and delicious every time!
Just a few simple ingredients are all you need to make slow cooker corned beef and cabbage. It does take a while to cook (8 hours), so make sure you turn your slow cooker on in the morning so that it will be ready for dinner.
MONEY SAVING TIP: As we move closer to St. Patrick’s Day, there is a good chance your grocery store will put both corned beef and cabbage on sale. Hold off on buying this until you see the price drop!
WHY CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE ON ST. PATRICK’S DAY?
Before Irish immigrants came to America, beef was considered a luxury. In fact, most families could not afford it. That meant most traditional Irish meals centered around ham and bacon. But, once they crossed the ocean, they noticed it was the opposite in America.
They could afford corned beef as it was cheap. That has lead to it becoming the meal of choice for generations of Irish Americans. And, the rest of America has adopted this traditional meal as the dish to serve on St. Patrick’s Day.
More St. Patrick’s Day Fun:Print
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
An easy to follow recipe to learn how to make Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 6
- Category: Dinner
- 4 lbs corned beef
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- 10 baby red potatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 6 oz beer
- 4 cups of water
- Salt and pepper
- Set your crock pot on high.
- Half the baby potatoes and place them on the bottom.
- Cut the onion into large chunks and place them over the potatoes.
- Place the corned beef on top.
- Pour on the water and the beer over the corned beef.
- Sprinkle on the seasoning packet that came with the corned beef.
- Let it cook on high for 7 hours.
- Coarsely chop the cabbage, and add it when the seven hours is up.
- Let it cook for one hour with the cabbage added.