Easy Watermelon Sugar Cookies
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 7 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 7 mins
- Category: Dessert
- 1 bag of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookies
- 1/4 cup of oil
- 1 1/2 tsp water
- 1 egg
- Red Dye (gel or drops)
- Gren Dye (gel or drops)
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Wax paper
- Mix cookie mix, oil, water and egg. Stir until well blended — it should have a crumbly consistency (if too dry, add a bit more water, if too wet, add a little bit of flour).
- Form dough into a log (around 6″ long). Cut off 1/3 and set it aside.
- Place 2/3 of the dough back into the bowl.
- Add in red dye and mix until blended.
- Take a sheet of wax paper and shape the dough into a 12″ roll — with one side flattened.
- Cover (making sure flat side is down).
- Next, take the remaining 1/3 of the dough and tint this green. Place this between two layer of wax paper. Roll this out into a 12×4″ rectangle (or oval).
- Refrigerate the dough for around 30 – 45 minutes.
- Preheat your over to 375.
- Now is the time to assemble your cookies.
Remove both items from the refrigerator. Remove the top layer of the wax paper from the green dough.
- Next, remove the red dough from the wax paper and place it onto the green dough, flat side up.
- Mold the green dough up to the edge of the red dough. Remove the bottom sheet of wax paper and trim (and repair) as needed).
- Set the dough back up (flat side onto your counter).
- Use unwaxed dental floss and slice the dough into cookies around 1/4″ thick.
- Place them onto an ungreased cookie sheet (around 2″ apart).
- Once all cut, place the chocolate sprinkles onto the cookie – as these are your “seeds.”
- Bake at 375 for around 7 minutes.
- Move to a rack to cool completely before sharing with your kids!