I’m sharing my ten secret money saving tips for shopping at Target! No reason to ever pay full price here (and honestly, I save more here than even at Walmart)!
I remember having a conversation with someone once at Target. She found out that I ran this site and she said this to me:
“My parents and I have this ongoing argument about where you save more money. I say it is Walmart and they say it is Target. Which of us is correct?”
My answer to her was simple:
“Target. There are so many ways to stack savings at Target, which are not available at Walmart.”
We had a short conversation and I shared with her these tips. I’ve got my ten secret money savings tips for shopping at Target! The best part – you can stack several of these together and dramatically increase your savings!!!
This is probably my favorite secret money saving tip for shopping at Target. This program has been around for nearly 2 years (since May 2013). Since then, it has expanded and now offers hundreds of offers.
What is great about this program is that you can use it on your phone OR you can review and print your savings at home before you shop. That is so helpful for anyone who may not have a smartphone.
The way it works is simple. You find the products you plan on purchasing through the app. You “claim” the offer, which is added to your account. Then, shop as usual. When you check out, you show the app to your cashier on your phone. He or she will scan it and the savings will be applied to your purchase. If you do not have a phone, you hand over the printout and they can scan the code that way instead.
If you haven’t used this app or program before, you can read more about How To Use Target Cartwheel.
2. Price Match.
Many people know that you can price match to some stores, but did you know you can also price match to online prices as well!? Yep! Not only that, but you can also still use your coupons as well.
The entire price matching policy can be found on Target’s site . The general things you need to know include:
- The item must be the same brand, size, weight, color, quantity and or model number in order to be matched.
- If it is for a competitor ad, it must be the in the original ad and valid the date that the price match is requested (meaning you can’t use an old ad or upcoming ad). If you are matching Target.com prices, the retail price must be valid on the website at the time you make your purchase.
- They will match prices for the following online retailers: Amazon, Walmart, BestBuy, ToysR Us, and BabiesRUs. Note that in order to match Amazon, it must be fulfilled by Amazon and not a third party seller.
- If you previously purchased something within 10 days prior to the lower price, bring in the ad (or have the website information) along with your receipt, and you will receive the difference back in the form of cash.
- You can use coupons to price match. Keep in mind that Target and Cartwheel coupons are applied first and then price match will be applied. If, after applying the coupon, the price is lower than the competitor, there is no additional adjustment needed. However, if the price is still more than the competitor, the price will be reduced further.
Target has items on clearance quite frequently. These can be found on the end cap displays. The discounts start at 15% and work up from there. You can actually review the Target clearance tag to know not only the discount, but also if the price will be reduced any further.
- If the reduced price ends in a “6” or “8”, the price will drop further.
- It the reduced price end in a “4”, that is the lowest the price will drop.
- You can use coupons on clearance priced items.
- The amount of the discount can be found at the top of the red clearance tag.
When it comes to holiday discounts, they usually hit the lowest price within 7 – 10 days following the holiday.
This is a way to save on every single purchase…..every time you shop! When you use your (debit or credit), you save 5% on all purchases. Not only that, but you can designate a portion of your purchase profits get donated to the school of your choice. Finally, you get free shipping on all purchases online – always!!!
You may want to read more about the REDcard and get signed up for yours!!! This is truly one of the simplest of the ten secret money saving tips for shopping at Target.
5. Gift Card promos.
These are a great way to get paid when you shop. Every week, Target has offers which provide shoppers a gift card with their purchase. It is usually a purchase of 2 or 3 (sometimes 4). You make the purchase of the select items and can earn a Target gift card for $5. That is money right back in your pocket.
When you get the gift card, you can use it right away – but not in the same transaction. So, you would need to run two separate transactions if you wish to use it right away.
What is great is that you can use your Target store, Cartwheel and manufacturer’s coupons towards your purchase — and that has no affect on earning the gift card!!
One final thing to keep in mind, if you happen to return any item purchased which offered the gift card, you will have that total netted from the refund (and in a worse case scenario, need to give more money for returning the product).
6. Stack coupons.
This is my favorite way to stack coupons (and your REDcard)! You can use up to 3 coupons on a single purchase!! Here is how discounts are taken.
If you happen to have a coupon for $x off of a $xx purchase, you can also use that as well – allowing for FIVE total ways to save on your purchase!
7. Price reduction differences.
Each week, Target offers several discounts, which can be found in your local ad. They also offer Temporary Price Cuts – which are unadvertised. You will want to keep your eyes open for these discounts as well. Make sure you read the tag as it will tell you how long the promotion runs – so that if you get another great coupon to use – you can save even more!!
If you want to pick up an item, but find that there are non on the shelf, make sure you ask for a rain check. This will allow you to purchase the item at the reduced price, once it is back in stock.
You do need to read the fine print on the promotion as some offers are only available while supplies last and will issue a rain check. If in doubt, just as at Guest Services and they will be more than happy to help.
When you redeem your rain check, make sure that you also use those coupons!!!
9. Use rebate sites.
Another great (and simple way) to increase your savings is to use rebate sites — on top of the discounts and coupons! Sites such as , Snap! by Groupon and ReceiptPal are just a few of the ways to save.
Each of these sites pay you after you make a purchase. With Ibotta and Snap! by GroupOn you have to claim offers and then make the purchase. With ReceiptPal, you just make any purchase. Then, within 5 – 7 days you will get money deposited into your account!
10. Weekly matchups and deals.
Finally, the best way to save money at Target, is to use all of these tools shared above with the weekly deals. When something is already on sale and you stack your coupons, Target REDcard, rebates and other tools, you can truly maximize your savings.
Now that you’ve read all of these tips, do you agree that Target is a GREAT place to head when it comes to trying to save money?